Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What Every Linux Desktop Should Have

This blog is the yardstick that I will be judging different Linux distros by. All computer users, regardless of the operating system they use, need software to either be productive, or for enjoyment. As I test out each distro, I'll look at what's included, and how easy it is to install what's missing.

This blog will be a living document, with edits made but not noted. Some edits will be my own, and some will be a result of comments made to this blog. I just don't want the "meat and potatoes" to get lost in the edit notes.

So here's my history, if anyone cares. My first Linux experience was with Red Hat 7.0 after managing 2 HP-UX Unix workstations for a number of years. Things were different, but I was able to find my way around without too much of a problem. At the time, I hadn't realized all the different distros out there. I was completely green, and simply bought a book with a Linux CD inside of it.

The main purpose for this was to move a ksh script over to the Linux box. The script was designed to dismantle and reassemble a tool path created from CAD/CAM software. I took quite some time to execute, and sucked the CPU and disk I/O from the Unix machine, hence the desire to move. It was a success, and I was hooked.

Since then, I've experimented on an off with Gentoo, Debian, LFS, and several derivatives and spin offs of the aforementioned. To be honest, I've yet to dive into Slackware or any of its children. I haven't been compelled enough to sacrifice my precious spare time - yet. But perhaps one day.

All over the web you'll find discussions of how Linux cannot fully replace Microsoft Windows. Trying to pull out real information from discussions between Windows die-hards and Linux die-hards is difficult at best. That would be like a Cubs fan and a Sox fan having a peaceful discussion about baseball. Not gonna happen.

Linux can replace Windows for your at-home PC. It's replaced Windows on my home PC. It just depends on your needs, and most needs can easily be met. I have no interest in the latest recipe management software. I can buy one for Windows. I can use an open source Linux program already in my repo. But I don't want to be locked in to anything. Each of my recipes resides in its own OpenOffice Writer document, and is assembled in a master document so I can print out one large book by printing one document. The same can be done with MS Word and MS Binder. But then, I'd be locked in to Microsoft. Yes, I dislike Microsoft, but I can be objective about it.

On to the real issue. There are programs that everyone has to have, like web browsers and all the add-ons. There's programs most want to have, like music players and photo editors. And programs that many want to have. Most needs can be met with Linux. Below is a list of categories. Under each category is a list of Windows and Linux programs that will do the job. A problem with Linux adoption is the lack of knowing what programs are available to do the job you need to do. (The others are resistance to change, and unwillingness to learn. But you're here, so that doesn't apply to you!) If one doesn't know about AmaroK, how could one get away from MusicMatch? So, on with the show . . .

Operating Systems

Yes, I show the different operating system options. I do this partially to attempt to separate an operating system from software, as many people do not realize they are separate. Many people think a computer is Microsoft. Or that Office is an operating system. Or the operating system is Internet Explorer. This isn't the case. MS Windows is an operating system. An OS controls the actual computer hardware (ie, all the circuitry). Technically, an operating system is software. But one cannot run any software (such as a word processor) without an OS. Hence, my reasoning for making the distinction. -- MS Office is office productivity software -- MS Internet Explorer is web browsing software.

Microsoft

Windows Vista - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate.

Linux

Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, Sabayon, PCLinuxOS, OpenSUSE, Mint, Mandriva, Puppy, Mepis, Arch, Slackware, Xandros, Freespire, Linspire, Linux From Scratch, Kiwi, TurboLinux, Knoppix, Slax, Damn Small Linux, CentOS, Sorcerer, and well, I'll tell you what. Just go to Distrowatch.com and take a look for yourself.

Desktop Environments

The actual graphic interface that the user interacts with via a mouse and keyboard. Windows has its single desktop environment, and (I believe) Mac OSX has its single desktop environment.

Windows

Just one.

Linux

KDE, Gnome, XFCE, Enlightenment, Blackbox, Fluxbox, Openbox, IceWM, JWM, FLWM, FVWM, 9WM, AEWM, Ion2, LWM, UDE, UWM, XFE, and on and on . . .

Web Browsers

Windows

Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, Safari, Chrome

Linux

Internet Explorer*, Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, Konqueror, Epiphany, Flock, Galeon, Dillo

Let's also add the Adobe Flash player to this list. Or, at least, the non-Adobe open source Flash player.

* Internet Explorer does not run natively on Linux. An emulator is required. IES4LINUX is an automated installer of the emulator and IE. I only recommend it for web developers seeking to test their code.

Email Clients

Windows

Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird

Linux

Thunderbird, Kmail, Evolution, Sylpheed

Instant Messaging

Windows

Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Instant Messenger, AIM, Pidgin

Linux

Pidgin, Kopete, AIM,

Word Processing

Windows

MS Word, OpenOffice Writer, WordPerfect, Abiword

Linux

OpenOffice, Kword, Abiword

Spreadsheets

Windows

MS Excel, OpenOffice Calc, Quattro Pro,

Linux

OpenOffice Calc, Kspread, Gnumeric

Presentations

Windows

MS Powerpoint, Presentations, OpenOffice Impress,

Linux

OpenOffice Impress,

Desktop Publishing

Windows

MS Publisher, Adobe Pagemaker, Quark Xpress, Scribus

Linux

Scribus,

Web Development

Windows

MS Frontpage, Adobe Dreamweaver

Linux

Quanta Plus,

Flowcharts

Windows

Linux

Kivio,

Photo Manipulation

Windows

Adobe Photoshop, The Gimp,

Linux

The Gimp, Krita, Cinepaint,

Vector Graphics

Windows

Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape,

Linux

Inkscape,
Personal Finance

Windows

MS Money, Quicken

Linux

KMyMoney2, Gnucash

Photo Albums

Windows

Linux

digiKam, Fspot,

Video Editing

Windows

Adobe Premier

Linux

Kino, Cinelerra,


Other Programs

Other programs I use frequently are:

Bluefish - Code editor, including HTML, PHP, C, and many others



Conclusion

This list will be ever growing. Also, I have not included console apps. Only software that has a GUI have been included. I consider anyone working in text mode to be beyond the intent of my documentation.

On the Linux side, note that I have not included software that must be purchased. While not all software is open source (as in freedom), is it available free of charge (as in free beer).

I have also included free programs (freedom and/or beer) on the Windows side. This will help in finding cross-platform apps for streamlining a home or small office, and providing familiar apps on both sides.

-- Doctor Rockhopper

No comments: